Monday, November 9, 2009

The big one-eight... can you believe it?

I have to say that I warned you... I failed to blog on time yet again. But I like to think that it's part of my charm. Maybe? Hahaha. I had a really lovely weekend up in Boone, visiting Appalachian and all my friends. It was really nice to get out of Charlotte for a bit, and to see so many wonderful people. They totally inspired me to run my 18 miler this past Sunday. But before I get to that, let me back up and tell you about what I've been doing.

On Halloween weekend I ran 16, which was the farthest yet. I was by myself, it was kind of raining, and it went really well. I just plugged into my ipod and did it! It took me 2 hours and 44 minutes, but it honestly didn't feel that long. Maybe that is God's little gift- when I finish a long run, I'm always kind of surprised that I actually ran for two straight hours, or whatever it was, I'm able to just zone out. I actually check my watch more when I'm at the gym or on a short run than I do on Saturday mornings. Anyway, it went really well, but I did have to stop and stretch about every 15-20 minutes during the last few miles. My knees have been getting really tight, and now so have my left foot and my hips. The streching really helps, it makes me feel really energized, until I have to stop again and stretch some more :)

All in all, I can't complain. And, I was able to go visit a good friend in Columbia, SC when it was all over. We went out for Halloween, and I was done after about two drinks, so maybe that's a good thing too... going out is much easier on my wallet!

Yesterday, Sunday, I ran the dreaded 18. Lucy from the Team waited to run it with me, and we headed out at about 7:40 that morning. It was freezing when we started, but it warmed up and turned into a really nice day. We made good time, coming in just under 3 hours. We did a lot of stretching stops in the last six miles, but it made me feel better that we both needed to stop, like my body wasn't the only one angry about all this running. It was funny, because I think I had little bursts of a runners high throughout- I would feel amazing and all the aches and pains would be under control, then I would have to stop and stretch, and then I'd feel great again. The funniest part is when you start running again after a stretch break- definitely the most pain ever. I decided it feels like I've just had two hip replacements and I'm wearing 15 lb. leg weights on both ankles... but then it goes away and all is well.

It's so much easier to run with someone else, even though Lucy and I both had our ipods in the whole time, it's just nicer. And afterwards we hobbled onto a bench to drink our recovery drinks and chat. It has been really great to have Lucy in this with me- we're the youngest, the unmarried, and some of the only participants without kids, so we've naturally gravitated towards one another. I was really happy she waited to run with me :)

In other exciting news, I'm just over $100 away from becoming a TNT Rockstar! Haha, that means that I have successfully raised $1,000 over the minimum. I'm hoping that I can bring in some donations before November 30th to reach that goal. How exciting!

Thanks for putting up with my irregular posting... hopefully what I write is amusing enough to make up for it.

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

2 comments:

  1. ahhhh you updated! (dont think I havent been checking-ya slacker!) :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you updated I checked and was shocked and excited! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete